Alice Frost

Alice Frost

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Writing Fantasy


I love writing fantasy and science fiction stories. But the one thing that I hate doing is research. Why would I need to research anything for a fantasy story? A lot of stuff. It may not be apparent when you write your story but later on you might see that things don't quite connect. Some authors are ok with things not quite connecting but not everyone is. I am one such person.
1. What Is Your Story About?
This is normally called the plot but I'm a little different. So what is happening in this story? Is your characters going on an epic quest or are we just going to see a small snippet of your fantasy world? Is this a big enough story to have a map and even languages?
J.R.R. Tolkien had not only maps of his world but even created a language for the Lord of the Rings series and The Hobbit. You may not think these things matter but you may have a reader that wants these things.
2. Types of Fantasy
You may think that this should have been first but as I've stated before I do things a little bit different. There is a WIDE variety of fantasy out there and you can mix them as much as you want as long as you make it sound plausible. So you could have androids with unicorns as long as it is plausible then have fun with it.
Cyborg leprechauns, FYI.
They can be a thing. Anyway once you have decided what your story is about then you can decide just how fantastical you want to be. But what about my characters? Just hang on we are getting there.
3. Characters
I already have a blog post about making believable characters. So basically you just have to do the normal routine on your character and if you find something new to add into your fantasy world then go ahead and do it. You may even find out that your plot/story line whatever changes, even expands. Yea, yea whatever. But sometimes a change in the plot line is fine.
4. Writing The Story
Now the hard part begins, writing the story. Don't stop writing until you have finished. Just remember to let yourself be creative (it's part of writing). Yes I know this is a short redundant tutorial but hey I like writing these.
What are you still doing reading this? Go. Go write your story. It's never going to be read if you never write it.

NOTE: I originally wrote this on my Wordpress blog. I have decided to copy the posts over to here cuz you guys need some lovin' too.

No comments:

Post a Comment