Alice Frost

Alice Frost

Monday, July 4, 2016

Alice Frost on Writing

First off, to those of you here in the USA, Happy 4th of July! I hope your day is fun and filled with family, fireworks, and parades!  I'm hoping my day will be too. To everyone else, if you aren't celebrating a holiday then I hope you are just having an awesome filled day!
I can tell you that as a single mother with a full time job and a passion to become an established author that it isn't easy. Sometimes there just isn't time to write much less think. But as a new author myself the biggest piece of advice I can give any budding author out there is: Make time. Even if it is just a few minutes while the kid is in the bath and dinner is in the oven cooking. Just jot down the idea you had and slowly expand on this. I have QuickMemo on my phone and Nooote Free on my tablet, which come in handy when I'm at work. Having a voice recorder also works.
Another thing that as a new author that takes time and unfortunately money is finding a cover that fits your story, especially if you are self-publishing. Most readers, myself included, are cover shoppers. If the cover looks good then they will buy it. If you have the money to buy a professional cover then you can move forward a little faster in publishing. If you don't have the money you can save up for the one you have your eye on but you risk the chance of someone else buying before you. Or you can find a temporary cover that kind of fits your story but then you risk the chances of no one buying your book. Now there are several sites where you can get premade covers and I suggest looking through those sites like you were buying a new house. Yes, that one is what you WANT but does it fit the story? Does it have everything you NEED to express? Will it draw your potential buyer it?
Yes yes I know I am a new author myself how do I know what I'm talking about. I do a lot of research. I read a lot of reviews, about writing, and different types of writing. Do I know everything? No. But I know what steps I have taken to get my book self-published. Trial and error is ok. If you make a mistake learn from it and move on. Just don't let that mistake get you down and stop writing, editing, or publishing. Don't let anyone or anything stop you from obtaining your goals. (Unless you are a murderer/serial killer then just don't do it.)
AF out! I'm thinkin' bout doing AAF = Awesome As Fuck
I don't know what do ya'll think?

No comments:

Post a Comment