Alice Frost

Alice Frost

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Prompt #1 Part 3

I am sorry for the delay on posting the next writing challenge. Pokemon Go abducted me. Yeah, I know, I'm a nerd so what? I also crochet, cross stitch, and collect Funko Pops. I also watch anime. And weirdly I still write romance stories..... So yeah I have certain quirks.

Anyway, moving on.

Obviously the name of my character doesn't match that of the prompt but hey it's my challenge. If you haven't read the first two challenges then I would suggest that you do. Prompt #1 and Part 2

He looks down at the table and then back at you, "I have been meaning to tell you this for a while now, but I didn't wan't to scare you... I am your great great great grandson and I was told to give this to you when the time came,":

Carly yawned as she walked to the diner. Her and Billy had been up late talking about how he had never realized his best friend was gay and that it had only taken her a few moments to realize it.

They had eventually decided on their sleeping arrangements as well, Billy on the lounge and her in the bed. She had been more than willing to take the lounge seeing as how the bed was a lot bigger than the one she had had and he needed more space to be comfortable. But he had declined saying that if she didn't agree he would shift and sleep under the bed.

Reluctantly she had agreed and had climbed into the massive bed that took up one entire wall. The entire apartment seemed to be bigger than before as well. Maybe it was some kind of spell, like in that Harry Potter movie she had watched a few years ago.

She waved to David through the pass-through where he was starting the lunch orders. She stashed her purse in her locker and clocked in. She grabbed one of the white frilly aprons that the waitresses were required to wear along with their usual uniform of pepto pink dress and white shoes. She grabbed a fresh order book and relieved Tory of her section.

She couldn't help but smile as Mr. Johnson walked through the door. "Mornin' Mr. Johnson. Are you sitting in your usual spot?"

The old man smiled, causing his already wrinkled face to become even more so. "I'll take my usual pot of coffee and heart attack waiting to happen burger."

She laughed. "One pot of extra strength coffee and the Baconattor coming right up."

He went to his usual booth. It was tucked back in the far corner. He always sat with his back against the wall and watched the people that came and went from the diner. Today seemed to be no different than usual, until she went to take him his food. He was sitting with his back to the door.

She placed his plate in front of him and poured him a cup of coffee. "Everything alright, Mr. Johnson?"

He looked up at her. "Why don't you have a seat with me dear?"

She looked around the diner, checking to see if anyone else needed anything. "Let me see if I can get someone to cover my section while I sit with you." She waved over Gail and asked her to cover her section while she talked to Mr. Johnson. She sat down across from him and looked at him expectantly.

He sipped his coffee. "We have a mutual friend that would like to see you go to a certain social event."

She looked at him in confusion. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He smiled at her. "Your roommate was invited to the Nightmare King's bicentennial ball. Someone wants you to go with him."

"But why? I'm just a human," she said.

He leaned forward. "You are much more than you seem." He pulled an envelope from his pocket and handed it to her. "Open this when you get home. It will explain some things that your mother kept from you." He took another sip of coffee and pulled a few dollars from his pocket. "I'll be seeing you next week, my dear. Thank you for talking with me." With that he got up and left.

Carly sat there wondering what he was talking about. Things just seemed to get weirder and weirder lately. She picked up the envelope and tucked it into her apron before clearing off the table.

NOTE: So my surprise for this post has actually been pushed off until either the next one or the one after that. Once again I am sorry for the delay in getting this up for all of you. The next post may not be prompt oriented but hey something may catch my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment