Alice Frost

Alice Frost

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Writing with Depression

One of the reasons I haven't been on my A game is the fact that I have been dealing with a severe bout of depression. I am sorry for that. I know a lot of my readers have strayed away due to my inactivity and I am sorry that I caused that. But I can say that I do see the light from this current bout.

Now dealing with my depression hasn't been easy. It never is. It isn't easy for anyone. It's not like you can hit the switch from sad to happy. I know it's easy to flip that switch from happy to sad and that it is a struggle to flip it back. I have heard many things that I could do to 'fix' myself. There is no 'fixing' this there is only making it through the storm. And each of us is very different from the other so my way of making it through the storm will be different from your way.

One of the things I have been told I can do is get myself on medication. Yes this might help for some people but after several years of depression and anxiety I've learned that meds and me don't mix. I become angry and downright hateful. This is not a good thing. Not for me or my family.

I'm sure you are wondering why I titled this Writing with Depression. I have gotten into a habit that when I feel my depression coming on I grab my notebook and force myself to write. This isn't always easy. But if you are writing a sad or angry scene I found that it helps me through this. I have also learned that if I am battling depression I also end up with uber sappy love scenes. Not sex scenes. Love scenes. Scenes where one is professing their love but the other is just not ready or doesn't trust the person. Yea, I'm mean like that.

Is this method going to work for everyone? No. I used to write poetry. Very horrible poetry at that. I've also found that by doing something different like coloring, painting, dancing, singing, or even crocheting. Yes, I crochet. But doing these things help.

When I was younger I used to walk to the park and then walk the trails, then walk back to my house. Unfortunately I can no longer do that due to me being a single mom and I refuse to leave my child alone in the house. Yes, I am a protective parent. Every parent should be. But that is not part of this post. I get sidetracked enough as it is.

Anyway, what I am saying is that don't let depression get to you. Yes it happens but don't let it rule your life. You are the king/queen of your life and you can do what you want (as long as it isn't breaking any laws). If you want to write that novel but feel that you just don't have the strength to pick up the pencil or put your fingers on a keyboard then that should give you even more motivation to do it. Don't let depression or anxiety rule you.

I haven't written a post like this for a while and this was long overdue. Can I say that there will be more posts like this in the future? I have no clue. My nicely plotted out plan for blogs and my writing was blown out of the water. So keep an eye out for future posts.


Here are the links to my social media:
Goodreads: https://goo.gl/1WxuI4

My Books:
Triple Threat - http://goo.gl/P0cLGF
Taming An Alpha - http://goo.gl/USvAzw

No comments:

Post a Comment