Alice Frost

Alice Frost

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Beta Readers

I posted on my personal Facebook page for beta readers and I was asked a very important question that I felt needed to be addressed. The question was whether or not it was a paid gig. For a first time writer I told them my sales were not enough to actually pay them but... Yes but I would give them a free copy of the book that they were beta reading for me.

I felt that I should give a bit of advice to other new authors out there. If you have beta readers who are willing to read your book free of charge that's awesome. But it's just good manners to give them something in return. (Edit) If you are a new reader and find someone willing to be a beta reader, always offer them a free copy of your book if they want one. I would not suggest offering money, unless you have ready cash for them. If you want to offer them money do not depend on what you get from sales.

1. You don't know what your sales are going to look like.
2. If you go through Amazon you won't get your first payment for 60 days.
3. Taxes and fees (may) apply to what you get. So if you price your book at $.99 then when someone buys it the get charged $1.07 (if I did my math right) and then there is a Delivery Cost if you do 70% Royalty (which pricing starts at $2.99)

But beware your beta readers. I'm not saying all of them are bad most are really nice but there are bad apples out there. They might steal/copy your work. Or troll you once you have published your work. Yes there are some messed up people out there. Just turn on the news.

Also, there is always one thing that sits in the back of my mind. These are my friends (if you are using your friends as beta readers) are they really going to give me their honest opinion or are they going to sugar coat it?

This question dogs me every time I ask someone to read something for me and it has actually stopped me a few times. But to be a successful writer you have to face your fears. To be successful at anything you have to face your fears. I've talked about my fears before.

Hopefully after the feedback I receive I will get my edits done and have it submitted for ya'll to read on December 1st. I thought I had set up the pre-order for Dec. 14th but I was wrong. Anyway, keep an eye out for little updates on my Facebook page and Twitter. I try to remember to update but sometimes I forget. I'm sure some of you are going to ask about my personal page but I will tell you right now that my personal page is just that, personal.

Don't forget to get your copy of Triple Threat and pre order your copy of Taming An Alpha.

Look at me getting all tech savvy... Not! I learned how to use the little links button.... Yeah I'm a dork. It's ok. Don't hate me for my dorkiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment